The Tudor Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juana of Castile to Margaret of Austria

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Juana of Castile to Margaret of Austria Empty Juana of Castile to Margaret of Austria

Post by Joanna of Castile Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:24 pm

Dear Margaret:

How are you, my sweet sister in law? Philip and I have just left Sweden and now on our way to see my parents, the great Isabel of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon in Aragon. We had a wonderful trip to Sweden. Everybody was polite and considerate. When Philip and I return to Flanders, you and I must become closer. You are Philip's sister and my brother's Juan's widow. I have great affection for you. I do doth loveth your brother. He doth be the best of husbands. I do doth hope to give him many children for after all, that is why our marriage was made that we may have heirs for Flanders and now Castile. It came as a major surprise to me that I am heiress to Castile. I was the thrid child born of my my parents, the great Isabel of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon. I was not born to succeed but to make an advantagous marriage for Aragon and Castile. But that is life and now Philip and I shall be King and Queen of Castile and Aragon.

Yours Juana of Castile.

Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Juana of Castile to Margaret of Austria Empty Re: Juana of Castile to Margaret of Austria

Post by Margaret of Austria Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:20 am

Dearest Juana

I am so happy that you and Philip are doing well and are on your way back home. So you must write to me about your trip to Sweden. It will be a pleasure to hear from you and Philip. You and he will make great rulers. I am also sure that you and he will be blessed with many children. Give your parents my best wishes to them. All of my love,

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Juana of Castile to Margaret of Austria Empty Re: Juana of Castile to Margaret of Austria

Post by Joanna of Castile Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:42 am

Dearest Maragaret:

Yes, as I said, the trip to Sweden was very successful. The Swedes are a delightful and warm and kind and considerate people. We were recieved warmly and kindly wherever we went. Everybody loved Philip for he was at his most charming. I, too, tried to be charming and polite to them all. Sweden is a cold country. One needed to dress warmly there but it was well worth it and now we travel to the kingdom of my father. I wonder what I shalt find. I know it wilt be very different than Sweden. The Castilians and the Aragonese are a staunch and upright people, very passionate in all they do and say. Castile is a better place than Aragon. I never really liked Aragon but here we must travel for my father, Ferdinand wishes to see me and Philip.

Yours Juana of Castile, Archduchess of Flanders.
Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:22 pm

Juana,

I am happy that you are able to see your father. He will be excited to see you and Philip again. What would you like to do when you get home and see your parents. By the by. How is Philip?

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:06 am

Dear Margaret:

Philip is really well. He does loveth you greatly. That is why he left you in charge of his lands while we are gone. The trip between Sweden and Aragon is daunting and long. When I get home to see my parents, I should like to be with them for a while and I want to go see Aragon and perhaps we will get a chance to go to Castile as well. I love Castile. I would wish to see it again.Castile is the land of lands. It is God's country. God loves Castile.

Yours always Juana of Castile, Archduchess of Flanders.
Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:08 pm

Dear Juana,

I am happy to hear that Philip is well.  While in Sweden did you and Philip go to the wedding of the King of Sweden.  How was the celebration.  I have written a letter to the King.  I hope to get the chance to go to Sweden since I know Mary Tudor.  At present I am in  England to visit with King Henry because  I taught his wife, Anne Bolyen. I can not wait to see her.  So I am happy that you are going home would you give my love to everyone.

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:00 pm

Dear Margaret:

No, Philip and I did not attend the wedding of the King of Sweden. We just paid a state visit to represent Castile.

Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:34 pm

Dear Juana,

That is fine. I had heard that the King of Sweden married King Henry's youngest sister Mary Rose Tudor. I know Henry and I was happy to hear this news. I was unable to go, so I sent a letter to them letting them know that I would like to visit. To see them both. Since you had stated that you and Philip were there I thought that you both may have seen the celebration of their marriage.

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:22 am

Dear Margaret:

I think that it is wonderful that Mary Tudor wed with the King of Sweden. It is a good alliance. Pray tell me your news. I still can not believe that Juan is dead and that I shall inherit Castile and Aragon on my mother and father's death. I do not look forward to either death. I love them both dearly. It shalt be good to see my father of Aragon and my mother of Castile again. I hope you loved my brother, Juan and not to just be left a widow but with child as well and to lose the child, the heir of Castile and Aragon.

Your sister in law, Juana of Castile, Archduchess of Flanders.
Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:50 pm

Juana,

I am well.  I am in England to visit a friend, King Henry and Queen Anne.  I taught Anne at my court.  I thought that I may pay a visit to Queen Mary when she returns from Romania.  But why would you ask me if I love Juan.  I loved him dearly although he was with me for a short time .  I was with child when he died. But was she was stillborn so I have nothing but my memory to remember him.  

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:44 pm

My dearest Margaret:

Pray forgive me I did not mean to imply that you did not love Juan. I know that you loved him deeply just like I love my Philip. I do not know what I would do if anything happened to him. Margaret, I need to tell you that I am with child. I am so, so happy. What wonderful news. I want to give Philip children. He deserves children.

Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:25 am

Dear Juana,

You do not have anything to apologize for.  You only wanted to know if my feelings were real.  That I can understand and I know how much you love Philip.   Congratulations to you both.  I hope that you have many children.  I am certain that you will be a wonderful mother.

Margaret

Last edited by Margaret of Austria on Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:35 am

Dearest Margaret:

Thank you for such kind words. I am very pleased. We have stopped in Paris and Philip wants to meet the King or rather the King of France wants to welcome Philip to France. Philip says we need to rest for a few days which we will in Paris. I hope to see some of it. It is suppose to be a nice place< Paris. I know my father, the King of Aragon and my mother, the Queen of Castile wilt not like it that we travel through France. Castile and Aragon both are at war with France but Philip is not at war with France. So he says we travel through France and so we do.

Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:36 am

Dear Juana,

I am happy that you and Philip will spend time in France.  I know that you will like it there.  Let me know all of the sights that you visit. I would love to teach your sister Katherine French.  I am happy that you are with child but I do not think that I shall have another child so I will be happy to see your little one. Now my Father wishes me to marry the Duke of Savoy Philbert II. I am to be his second wife.  But it is too soon after John's death.  I miss him so much.  So I will soon have to go to Savoy.  Right now I am having a wonderful visit with the King and Queen of England Elizabeth of York, Henry VII and their children.  I have met Prince Arthur and Henry then Princess Margaret and Mary.   They are good people.  Please be careful in France.    Give Philip my best wishes.  Enjoy your time there.

Margaret

Last edited by Margaret of Austria on Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:54 pm

Dear Margaret:

I hope your marriage with Savoy will be as happy as Philip and I are. Does Philip know of this match. You must not leave Philip in the dark, dearest Margaret.

Your sister Juana of Castile, Archduchess of Flanders.
Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm

Juana,

I am going into this marriage with hope that it will be a happy one. Perhaps I will come to care for him. I have heard that he is a kind person. But for now I will not worry about this I will stay in the present. Right now I am enjoying the company of the Tudor family. They have welcomed me here. I am happy. I write to Philip but if you wish you could tell him as well.

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:51 pm

Dear Margaret:

I am glad that Henry the Seventh is treating you well. And I will tell Philip the news. Perhaps your father has already mentioned it to him but I will most certainly tell Philip. I am glad that you are happy. Soon my sister, Catalina will travel there. She will be frightened.

Your sister in law, Juana of Castile, Archduchess of Flanders.
Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:49 am

Dear Juana,

I hope that you and Philip are enjoying your time in France.  It is a wonderful place filled so many things to see.  I am sure that Father spoke to Philip about my upcoming nuptials. Do not worry I am sure that Catalina will be get along swimmingly there .  King Henry VII and Queen Elizabeth are wonderful hosts and their children are keeping me well cared for.  Please give my love to your family when you see them.

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:25 am

Dear Margaret:

I know you were raised in France. You were slated to wed with Charles the Eight of France but that came to naught but I do not like it in France. Anne of Brittany has an attitude problem and I do not trust, Louis the Twelth at all. Yet Philip is on good terms with them. I like that not. I am Castilian and Castile and Aragon have always been at war with France. Nay, I do not like France at all. I will not bend the knee to Anne of Brittany who is a mere Duchess and I am an Archduchess. I do worry about Catalina. She is so young. If I know my mother, Isabel will make an excuse to keep her in Castile for as long as possible. But they have Miguel who is my sister, Isabella of Aragon, Queen of Portugal's son by Manuel of Portugal.

Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:44 pm

Dear Juana,

Why do you say this.  Did you know that Anne was twice a queen.  She even married my father until it was annulled.  But she decided to stay in Brittany.  So do you have a reason to be angry with her.  Yes I was betrothed to him but we were very young.  He was 12 and I was 2.  What is it that bothers you so.  I do not understand.   The reason for our marriages is to bring the countries together.

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 am

Dear Margaret:

As i said, I am the heiress of Castile and Aragon. I am her equal and therefore do not need to bend the knee to the woman. She may have been Queen of France twice but did you know that Louis had a wife, Jeanne de France before her whom he divorced to wed with her so he could have Brittany. Oh, I know what it is all about, power games. Margaret, power games. That is why Philip wed with me and you with my beloved dead brother, Juan, who should have succeed to Castile and Aragon instead me. That really rankles with me. Why me. Why am I so special that three members of my family had to die so that I am next heiress.

Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:17 pm

Dear Juana,

Well my understanding is that Jeanne de France was married to Louis. He did not leave Jeanne for Anne. He wanted out of the marriage on his own. He asked for an annulment. Still is it not courtesy for a royal show respect to the sovereign they visit. She too is an heiress. And everything is a game for power. Royal families make advantageous marriages. So again tell me why are you angry with her. She is a smart, studious and knowledgeable young lady. You should not show such animosity towards the French. I care for you Juana and I want you to be happy so please be kind to Anne and France.

Margaret
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:28 pm

Dear Margaret:

You are so, so good. I wish I was half the lady you are. Juan was very forunate to have known you and you, instead of I, would have been Queen of Castile and Aragon and I so wished that for my dear, beloved Juan. Thar pain runs deep with my mother, Queen Isabel and I. I will try to be kind to Anne of Brittany and France. Thank you, for calming me, dear sweet sister in law.

Yours forever Juana of Castile, Archduchess of Flanders.
Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret of Austria Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:47 pm

Dear Juana,

I miss Juan everyday.  Our time together was far far to short. And I nothing but memories of him.  Not even my daughter survived.  Another way he is truly gone for me.  Perhaps had she survived she would have inherited the throne.  I am happy that you will be Queen.  But to have been ruler of Castile and Argon which he loved that would be a very small consolation.  

Margaret.
Margaret of Austria
Margaret of Austria

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanna of Castile Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:02 pm

Dear Margaret:

I wonder if I will do my dear, great mother, Isabel of Castile proud. I do so want her to be proud of me and yet. Well, I shall have a better idea of where she is coming from when Philip and I get to Aragon. I am sure she shall be there as well for she is Queen Consort of Aragon but she will be there as the Queen of Castile, that she is. They often argued about that. They thought that I knew nothing but I listened, I observed the sadness of my mother. My father wanted to be King of Castile as her consort but she would not have it. She was the Queen of Castile. It was hard for her to rule and to be a mother plus she did a war, a holy war. She conquered in Granada. That she did with my father's help. They will go down in history as a major power couple. Ten years that war went on and on. I was born amidst that war. Anyway, Margaret, I do not mean to rant but I find I can talk to you.

Thank you

Juana of Castile, Archduchess of Flanders.
Joanna of Castile
Joanna of Castile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next