The Tudor Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To My Son Henry VII

2 posters

Go down

To My Son Henry VII Empty To My Son Henry VII

Post by Margaret Beaufort Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:51 pm

My Dear Son,

I do hope you are happy to be with Elizabeth of York. This will be a magnificent event that England will ever see.

Lady Mother
Margaret Beaufort
Margaret Beaufort

Back to top Go down

To My Son Henry VII Empty Re: To My Son Henry VII

Post by Henry Tudor Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:30 pm

My Lady Mother:

I do thinjk that thee have put the cart before the horse, as yeomen often say. I have only been formally introduced. She is beautiful. However, whether she is to be my wife has not been finally decided. Its political advantages are obvious, but I think all the posibil;ities of matches must evaluated and discarded first. Was she not too close to the Usurper to be be eaily overlooked. The coronation will be a magnificent event. All other issues will be deided after I am king. I have never nbeen absolutely comfortable with others deciding who my wife will be. Time is a great decider.

King Henry VII
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret Beaufort Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:30 pm

My Son,

If you were to marry Elizabeth of York that would be to end the War Between Roses. I would think you would want peace. If not many would rise up in support of her. That is a lie. She was not close to the Usurper, that was just to cause you to overthink. But I leave this up to you. I just want the best for you and England.

Your Lady Mother
Margaret Beaufort
Margaret Beaufort

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:58 pm

My Lady Mother,

Yes, that argument has been made to me by many people and in many places, most recently in the Privy Council. Several Yorkists were quite emphatic that I must marry her to maintain unity in ny Kingdom. The implication, of course, would be that War of the Roses would begin anew. Of course i want peace, but I resist being dragooned into the agreement that neither I nor Elizabeth had any part in it. We were simply presented with this 'fait accompli'. It would seem that she would have the best of both worlds ... marry me and become my queen ... not and lead the place coup against me. Has she been asked her true desire? I have my doubts ... she is just a pawn like I am. Somehow I have my doubts that she was not close to her powerfuk uncle.
I find it difficult to believe that there are no other York maidens who would be as suitanle ... Mother. Sometimes ... I think your desires go beyond just England ... eh?"

King Henry VII
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret Beaufort Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:41 pm

My Son,

I but follow my God which tells me that this is the right thing to do. Love does not take place in royalty as you well know. I had 3 husbands, did I love any of them, no I did not. In my first marriage to your late father, his purpose was to get me with child so that I may bear the future king of England only. What would give you to take that I serve more than England? This is a means to further England by you marrying Elizabeth of York and having heirs to this throne.

Lady Margaret
Margaret Beaufort
Margaret Beaufort

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:56 am

My Lady Mother,

I often think that thee have such difficulty telling the difference between God's will and thy own that thee mistake thy own will for thy own. Contrary to your view, I think that love often takes place against the practicalities of Kingdom and politics. The needs of the State do sometime trump other things it does not necessarily annihilate the emotion. That you had three husbands was the result of thy choices and the goals that you possess. I do search for power, but it does not obliterate life itself At some level there must be some love and caring or life itself will lose its meaning. I would think that thee would value thy family as much as the Kingdom. Would thee sacrice for the State and not for thy grandchildren? There are other means than by Elizabeth alone."

King Henry VII
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret Beaufort Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:51 pm

My Son King Henry VII,

Mayhap you have some other lady in mind? Is love flitting across that heart of yours? My will will always be God's Will. I have no doubt of that. I have never once had my doubts about my duty as you should have no doubts about your own duty to me and England.

Lady Mother
Margaret Beaufort
Margaret Beaufort

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:30 pm

My Lady Mother,

I know, Lady Mother, that thee are deep into politics every day, and words are just props that are used. However, I mean what I say and say what I mean. What I said in the pre-coronation was truthful. I have not met with Elizabeth in any intimate way as of yet. The main reason that I am considering her is the marital agreement I was roped into at Rennes Cathedral. Plus the fact that many Yorkists would openly rebel if I don't marry her. It must be a York ... for the sake of peace I know this. I have no particular lady in mind ... for love has yet to grab it. I find that that is convenient for thee to claim God's will, especialy since the Archbishop may have a more rightful claim than thee to God's will. I see that you have placed my duty to you before mine to England ...interesting.

King Henry VII
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down