The Tudor Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronation of Henry VII

+3
Henry Tudor
Jasper Tudor
King Richard III
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Coronation of Henry VII Empty Coronation of Henry VII

Post by King Richard III Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:13 pm

Coronation of Henry VII Henry-vii-coronation-twp

Coronation of Henry VII Tumblr_oylngh2YKI1rjl6wko7_250 Coronation of Henry VII 21969632 Coronation of Henry VII 1565fb8924d6976a6ca9fea458042c73
King Richard III
King Richard III
Admin

https://tudorroleplay.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Coronation of Henry VII Empty Re: Coronation of Henry VII

Post by Henry Tudor Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:28 am

Henry Tudor had many things milling about in his mind, as his coronation approached on October 30th, 1485. It had been a scant 2 months since the battle at Bosworth where he had effectively taken the crown by right of conquest and the killing of the Usurper. It was so strange, the aftermath of the battle. He had been so used to being alone in Brittany and France, with only Uncle Jasper for real guidance. here, now, he had a plethora of advice, and so little experience at being King ... none in fact. He new that he had to project the appearance of being decisive. He agreed to the advice to begin his reign retroactively, one day before Bosworth. This way anyone who had fought against him could be charged with treason and be subject tio have titles and lands taken away. He acted against a few in such a manner within days, while rewarding others by taking no action, or even making grants of titles and lands. He knew that he needed to curry favor with some.

He was determined that he be coronated by himself, before marriage, so there would be no question about the fact that the autyhority in the kingdome rested with him. This is where it was a risky thing. He had gathered allies to his side, especially from the Yorkist side, by agreeing to marry Elizabeth of York in what a appeared to be a church-sanctioned pledge at Rennes Cathedral on Christmas day in 1483. Now that he was king he found that members of his council were pressing him to marry her. However, many said that she had a greater claim than he did. He obviously could not marry her before he was coronated. But once he was coronated would he even have to honor the agreement at all. He did not really know her, and his trust in the Woodvilles was low, especially the Dowager Queen. In fact, the Dowager Queen and his mother had made this agreement and thrust it upon them. He hated to agree to anything that was forced upon him. He realized that this could create a schism in the kingdom if not handled properly. He realized that he did not really know her and they must meet for them to decide if this was even possible. The Lasy Mother was already demanding evidence that she could produce heirs, male heirs. He knew that his Uncle Jasper and Lord Stanley had brought Elizabeth of York and other Woodvilles to the palace. He determined to send her a not throgh the Ladies-in-Waiting.

"Elizabeth:
I think that we have been maneuvered by others in the situation that we have found ourselves. I suggest that we should meet, prefereably in my rooms, at a time, that is ameable tio thee. This should be done without the knowledge and interference of others, especially our respective mothers and associated family members. If this is amenable to thee communicate your wishes. If thee have other suggestions that thee think would be more productive do not feat in raising them with me. I look forward to your response.

Henry"

He had it delivered to Elizbeth rooms and awaited whatever reaction it would provide.
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:40 pm

I had come to attend the coronation of the new King. I could not believe it still that a new Dynasty had begun in England known as the Tudors.

It had been months since Henry's victory at Bosworth and despite being with him all the way it still felt nervy. I knew that I would need to guide Henry all I could in the first months of his reign as I knew that he would appreciate it greatly. Today would be a splendid day for all.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:56 am

Henry knew that he might have to wait some time for a response from Elizabetof York. No matter, he had plenty to occupy him until then. His primary advisor, his Uncle Jasper, he saw from a distance, on this special day.

Henry approached him quickly, before he could be interrupted by anyone. "So, Jasper, did you think that we would see this day 14 years ago when we escaped to Brittany?" H looked for that familiar smile to appear. He wondered if he would have the happy presence of his uncle, or would be more formal.
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret Beaufort Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:41 pm

I approach my son, "My Son this is indeed a happy time for England. You and Elizabeth of York are to be the peace we have much needed. I always knew you would be King of England."
Margaret Beaufort
Margaret Beaufort

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:36 pm

I smile at Henry as he approached and asked me a question.

"If you had asked me that same question even a few months ago Henry I believe that I would have said no. We have come so far together and protecting you along the way. This is a grand day and it will also be very interesting to see what Elizabeth of York says. I say to him as I see Margaret Beaufort approach and I nod my head to her.

"Lady Margaret, it is a pleasure to see you again. I trust that you are well?
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:47 pm

I only have time to return my uncle's smile and hear his reply to my comment before the sudden appearance of My Lady Mother.  I had hoped to converse with my uncle without interference from others, especially her.  I fight the desire to role my eyes, and reply to my uncle first.  

"Yes, uncle, circumstances have indeed changed i what's seemed like a blink of an eye.  The Usurper had lost supprt of many, including those who were there on the battlrfiled, with those who we thought would defend him, and the crown quickly fell into our hands.  Yes, many allied with me late in the process, but there are those who were always with me.  Your contributions will will never be forgottten, or go unrewarded, Uncle.  Yes I never really thought this day will come, and as far she goes, nuch is up to her.  I feel even moreso that it was important to be coronated before any marriage is proposed.  Elizabeth of York has many positives, but there are others in the House of York who would do, Mother.  This was never my idea,  I do not approve of purely political unions.  We will have to see what she really wants and whether she mourns the Usurper too much."
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:27 pm

I smiled at Henry then nodded my head to his lady mother.

"Henry, I have to say that I was most surprised on the day of the battle by Thomas Stanley, for he was the one that I feared would hand victory to Richard, yet he turned against him and aided us giving us the fine victory. This we have your mother to thank for truly.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:26 am

I noted both how he smiled at my Lady Mother, but also ignored everything that I had said about Elizabeth and her Woodville kin.

Smiling back, and ignoring for the moment The Lady Mother I respond, "It did not surprise me in the least.
I figured that My Lady Mother would constantly been in his ear. There was always the possibility that he would come down on the Usurper's side, especially since family members of Lord Stanley were being held as a kind of ransom. However, thee must bear in mind that Lord Stanley always look at decisions by which will benefit him the most. he simply saw no benefit to remaining Richard's ally. He is not wedded to one side toomuch. It is why you must always keep an eye on him ... as well as the Woodville's."
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:36 am

I looked at Henry after I had thought for a moment about what he said regarding Elizabeth of York.

"Henry, I do believe that it is important to be crowned first before any match as this will be much stronger with you then being king. Might I suggest that after your coronation, that you request to meet with Elizabeth and get to know each other more. I myself, if you wish can look into the Woodville family and speak with them, especially her mother.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Margaret Beaufort Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:36 pm

I turn to my son, "You would do well to take Jasper's advice. He has fought for your rights since you were born. Did he not? Are you looking for a love match." I turn to throw a glance Jasper's way to show how I feel about this before continuing, "Love matches rarely happen to Royalty as you well know. Its best to marry for political reasons. You may learn contentment later in your marriage. How many love matches do you much see at Court. Even the nobles marry for political for money reasons not love."

I turn to Jasper, "It is much great to have you among us once more for good this time. You have been much missed. Do you have more to say on the talk of marriage? Do you think Elizabeth to be the one or are there other better matches that I do not know about?"
Margaret Beaufort
Margaret Beaufort

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:40 pm

I looked at lady Margaret.

"I am very pleased to be back Lady Margaret and to have helped you son get here to where he is now. I have to say it is a moment that I thought may not come. I do believe that before Henry decides on his bride that a meeting should be had between the two of them. Do you not agree, Lady Margaret?
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:49 am

I saw my uncle's gaze fell on me for several moments, as if he was gathering his thoughts. In my thoughts I was conced that I was about to be ganged up on by these two elders.

After listening for several moments I nodded my head in at least partial agreeement. "Yes, I think what we are doing here, in getting coronated before any prospective wife is vital. I am not nieve to the fact that she has a much stronger claim to the crown and throne than I do, and that she is well aware of that fact. Yes ... a meeting would be a good idea ... probably several. It is better to have this settled sooner than later. The later it is done the more likely that there will some who pick sides, and that never ends well. Yes, I would desire that you look into them and speak with them. However, you must watch your step, especially with the Dowager Queen."

I noted how quickly that My Lady Mother came to support my uncle and the points he was making. "Yes, My Lady Mother, I am well aware of the value of his advice, and how much he has fought for me ... that you both have." Quckly, though, he saw her turn the discussion to a point that she wanted to emphasize. "Lady Mother, I could have a political marriage with a wide range. I would gladly take on with another, but I did make a pledge before God. That is something difficult to resist. Politics is rarely the path to compatability and natural support. I think that love or at least friendship will be a necessary part of any succuss. After all, political alliances can change with the wind, as the Usurper found. I intend not to share his fate." Once she had made her point he saw that she turned back to his uncle. he waited to see if she would bait him into some remark he would regret.
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:31 am

I looked at Henry before speaking.

"I will heed your advice and watch my step around the Dowager Queen. I am fully aware of how cunning she can be. She will seek a match as soon as possible for her daughter to you, but we must also remember that Elizabeth of York, is well liked by the Court and the English people. The meetings should take place and then you will be able to make your decision Henry, all I can do is advise you regarding her.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:52 am

While I saw him look at me while he spoke carefully and seliberatly, I saw My Lasy Mother's scowl, even as I knew she would react even worse soon.

I nodded my head slowly at his words.  "Yes, it is wise to always deal very carefully with her.  He schemes have schemes inside enigmas, " I said smiling thinly.  "Do not underestimate her ... you must be very careful.  I would expect that all of the signatories of the contract, My Lady Mother and the Dowager Queen, wants this brought to a conclusion.  Yes she is well-liked, probably more than myself," he chuckled.  "I will rely on you to set this up, with no participation by our mothers.  They cannot be involved or this possible union will not progress any farther.  Are you agreeable to this, Uncle."
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:58 am

I listened to Henry carefully then I nodded my head to him.

"I shall of course arrange the meetings for you Henry. I will be discreet about it and only you and myself shall know as to when they occur. I myself will arrange to meet with the Dowager Queen.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:16 am

While I watched my uncle carefully, I was looking out of the corner of my eye at My Lady Mother.  It was easy to see that she was silently fuming as the two men spoke.  I expected her to blow up like a lid on a boiling kettle at any moment.

I fully expected my uncle to respond diplomatically, especially with My Lady Mother standing off to one side.  I nodded my head, accepting what my uncle was verblly offering.  "Yes ... well .... Jasper  ... I will leave that matter in thy hands now.  I expect that thee will keep me informed ... as always?  Discretion is imperative.  I would keep the Dowager Queen out of the loop as much as thee can.  I don't trust her.  And how My Lady Mother have thee found thy rooms.  I trust that they meet thy approval and satisfaction?," I said as I turned in her direction.
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:23 am

I nodded my head towards Henry.

"I will of course make all of the arrangements Henry and like you say I will keep thee informed of anything that I learn too. Discretion is indeed very important.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:24 pm

I listen to Jasper as he basically reaffirms what he has already said and i turn to My Lady Mother.

I know that Uncle Jasper is trying to satisfy both her and myself. I know that if I force her into an answer I am likely to get something more trutful than if she is given time to think about it. "My Lady Mother ... if thee has an opinion on this subjuct would you be so kind to share it," I asked, ignoring Jasper's words for the moment.
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:10 pm

I looked across at Henry then I turned my glace towards Lady Margaret Beaufort, waiting to see what she would say.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cecily of York Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:01 pm

I arrived at the coronation of Henry VII and my sister Elizabeth of York. She is truly a beautiful bride and they look happy. He seems to be a good match for her . I see as I glanced over Jasper Tudor and Lady Margaret Beaufort .
Cecily of York
Cecily of York

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:14 am

I noticed that Lady Cecily had arrived at the Coronation and her presence was always a delight to see. I went over to greet her.

"Good day, Lady Cecily, I do hope that you are well? I am pleased that you were able to make it as well.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:00 pm

I noted that Jasper appeared to wait for My Lady Mother to respond, as I was. Her response would be predictable, I thought, as I could see the fire in her eyes. However, this moment of tension was apparently relieved, temporarily, by the arrival of Lady Cecily, who was being restored to a Princess. Why had she not been suggested as a potential match, I wondered. I noted that Jasper had gone to her and was exchanging pleasantries. I decided that it would be best to wait to be introduced.
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasper Tudor Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:27 am

I looked over at King Henry as I spoke with Cecily then I bought Cecily over to him.

"Lady Cecily, may I present my nephew and the new King Henry Tudor.
Jasper Tudor
Jasper Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tudor Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:55 am

My patience was rewarded as Jasper brought her to me. She appeared to be quite young, 16 or 17, but definitely of marriageable age. "It is my honor to be introduced to you. I think that my kinsman is a bit premature as I have not been officially coronated yet. It is obvious, though, that beauty tends to run among you York siblings. By the way, is this your first trip to London?"
Henry Tudor
Henry Tudor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next