The Tudor Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Field of the Cloth of Gold

Go down

Field of the Cloth of Gold Empty Field of the Cloth of Gold

Post by Guest Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:25 pm

The Field of the Cloth of Gold was a summit meeting between King Henry VIII of England and King Francis I of France from 7 to 24 June 1520.
It was a very expensive display of wealth by both kings
The summit was arranged to increase the bond of friendship between the two kings following the Anglo-French treaty of 1514.Field of the Cloth of Gold 170px-Cardinal_Thomas_Wolsey
Under the guidance of English Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, the chief nations of Europe sought to outlaw war forever among Christian nations.
Two entities had started to emerge as powers in Western Europe at this time: France, under Francis I, and the Habsburg Empire, under Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. The Kingdom of England, still a lesser power, was being courted as an ally by the two major powers.
The 1518 Treaty of London, a non-aggression pact between major European powers to help resist the Ottoman expansion into southeastern Europe, had just been signed. Henry also held meetings with Charles V a month before the Field of Cloth of Gold in the Netherlands and again afterwards at Calais, Henry's only possession on the Continent
Field of the Cloth of Gold 300px-The_Field_of_the_Cloth_of_Gold

Back to top Go down

Field of the Cloth of Gold Empty Re: Field of the Cloth of Gold

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 pm

I had arrived at the Field of Cloth of Gold and before me I could see the English arriving and I did notice Henry VIII arriving with his court but sent ahead a noble Duke of his to greet me and I could only think it must have been the Duke of Suffolk and so I spoke with him.
"Good day to you my lord. I presume that you are King Henry's best friend the Duke of Suffolk is that correct?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:37 pm

I was keen to make my way to the drinks tent when I was approached by his the king of France himself .
"your majesty I am most honoured"
I fall into a deep bow and diverted my eyes to the ground
"I should like to think his majesty thinks fondly of me but do not partake of saying I am his best friend unless he should require I say so"
I notice his majesty @"henry tudor" is nearby with the queen @"katherine of aragon",his ambassadors and their ladies, Mary Boleyn and her sister Anne .
I think it polite to introduce our entourage but then feel perhaps they should like to introduce themseles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum