The Tudor Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Diary of John Gloucester

Go down

The Diary of John Gloucester  Empty The Diary of John Gloucester

Post by John of Gloucester Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:51 am

Dear diary,

My name is John: I am twelve years of age, and I live at Sheriff Hutton with my sister, Cait and half brother, Edward. Our father is Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and our mother is a lady named Katherine Haute. We also have a stepfather, Francois. Mother and Francois live in Bishopsbourne, Kent in a manor house.

Unlike our half brother, Cait and I are illegitimate: we were born out of wedlock when our parents were teenagers, and before he met our stepmother, the Lady Anne Neville. Although we are illegitimate, we are treated very well (even if we miss our mother from time to time). Edward is my father’s heir, and a very good brother and friend. He is nine years old. We often play in the garden together and take our studies together. I love him as if we came from the same mother.

My tutor has asked that I keep this diary, as this is a momentous time in history. You see, my uncle Edward has died, and father is the Lord Protector to the soon-to-be King Edward V. He is leaving for Stony Stratford in the next few days. We travelled to York in order to attend a funeral for our uncle, and our father wept while speaking his eulogy. Father is now the only brother left in his family, and he loved his siblings dearly. I hope that grief is kind to him.

Well, I am off to bed,

Sincerely,
John
John of Gloucester
John of Gloucester

Back to top Go down