The Tudor Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pilgrimage of Katherine Haute (1471)

Go down

The Pilgrimage of Katherine Haute (1471) Empty The Pilgrimage of Katherine Haute (1471)

Post by Katherine Haute Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:50 am

The May wind blows gently through the trees. I sit on the grass with my children, Cate and John, and watch the clouds pass by. Although my daughter is only two years of age, she is mighty clever: she hobbles around on the turf, picking up little flowers that poke up from the soil. John is only a few months old, and cannot do much other than sit in my lap.

It has been a warm day- unusually so for this time of year, although I shant complain: the weather is lovely and I shall spend it outside. I think on Richard: he is off in Tewksbury, fighting the army of Margaret of Anjou. His ring is still on my finger: the one he gave me before I fell pregnant with little Cate all those years ago. I turn it round and round on my finger, praying that he returns safely. Neither little Cate nor John have met their father yet; but when he does return, I shall introduce them officially. I savor the notion: how Richard will love his children, how they will love their father. My heart leaps with anticipation: let him come home to me already!

I see my aunt and father speaking on the other edge of the lawn, their faces solemn. My mind drops my daydream like a bowl of fruit, smashing onto the floor. I fear Richard has died. They begin to approach me cautiously, and I get up from my place on the turf, placing John onto his blanket. Little Catherine looks up to her grandfather and great aunt.

"What is it?" I plead, "Please, just tell me."

"It's about Richard." my father clears his throat anxiously.
Katherine Haute
Katherine Haute

Back to top Go down